Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Will someone please enlighten me as to why plus size models are not more commonly used in fashion?

And why we are still talking about it today?

It's very sad that people are still jumping on the boat that is skinny chick/chique. And I think that phrase could perhaps pin it. After all, the word cool and skinny seem to be lodged together in people's minds whether they admit it or not, I can tell. It's there in statements people make, from the late Jeff Buckley to the notorious Kate Moss to movies like Reality Bites with Winona Ryder looking like a waif in distressed jeans and a too big t shirt, her huge eyes and pixie face, an inspiration for young, male musicians. I'm not glamourising it, it's all there, I don't need to do anywork, this is a comment on what I have observed.

But what if we changed? I would love all shapes, sizes and heights to not only live in this world but to be valued and glamourised, two seperate things, equally. I understand that one can't get through to someone who has strong preferences or has some sort of instinctual drive, but by allowing only certain shapes, sizes and heights to wear the finest garments and take center stage, it shows how backward we are. And I do not see why we should not change that. Is fashion so important that beauty can't evolve? Are the rules so set in stone, that one person can not change it and say hey I can make a garment for you lady who's a size 18, and for you size 8 lady and for you size 2 lady and it can sweep around your body equally gloriously. Remember the model at the Jean Paul Gaultier show, and then remember the headlines and comments. First plus size model! This was only a few years ago, it should have happened earlier. There is no excuse. Victoria Beckham, Nicole Roberts, please tell me why are you are jumping on this boat and not allowing all sizes to be embraced?

If you allow society to dictate and it is dicatorship what or what isn't allowed or acceptable on any stage, then you've had it. It's not good enough to say it's fucked up and twisted but that's the way it is, why sacrifice you for a career which is based on something you love? And I'm not spoilt, I've had to choose things which do not sacrifice myself, I've taken the hard road; I don't want a medal, I am just writing like it is.

And what about petite people; are we to wear stilts to be seen like the Gisele's of this world..why the sssh petite side alley for us?

This is one where people's prejudices and experiences come in, when they assume something about the writer based solely on their own prejudices and experiences. So, they'll probably say why stop there, why not allow...."merely cute" people to model alongside the "beautiful" ones and I'll say quite right, why not? These are just labels and prejudices and rules and I say who made these rules? Why are high cheekbones beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment