
The poster may look like a lovey dovey Autumn movie, all cosy and sweet but the movie is about something that is anything but. What I love is the blend of both the characters love in the movie that leads to what some say a sappy ending but for me it's the way they are, especially when you watch the beginning of the movie and in the end, what's great is that the ending combines confronting their issues and imperfections as well as a little play and romance. To me When A Man Loves A Woman is probably the most romantic movie I have seen because it's about a love that lasts. The performances however make the movie. I can't get over how good the young girl who played the daughter was, her face especially in that horrible scene where Meg's character slaps her and her voice just killed me. I just love the actors and director.
So the movie is about confronting and coping with alcoholism. What happens to a family and a love when a person is an alcoholic. I don't care that it's a woman or a man who's an alcoholic, it doesn't make it more romantic that the man unconditionally loves the woman despite her addiction because unconditional love should be the only basis for a marriage anyway, why I love the movie is just the way both these characters deal with this and don't deal in some instances.
Of course you can't beat the song that starts the movie. Funny how it's about a man's love for a woman blindsiding him, yet it's such a popular romantic song. But it fits the movie, the way that Andy Garcia's character has to let go of the blindsidedness and see all sides of his wife, not only love his wife but see her all sides.
Boy I make love sound tough!
I haven't seen the movie for years so I can't remember the character's names.
I clicked on the links marked part one, two, etc..
http://www.alluc.org/movies/watch-when-a-man-loves-a-woman-1994-online/25187.html?maincatid=25187|
Only click on this particular link below if you have seen this movie as it has spoilers and possibly the ending! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZOuM2IIfLs Oops it contains music. Well the first bit of this link I like since it's part of the movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment