Thursday, 8 April 2010

Don't you love being patronised?

Today I read about a tall woman who hates being tall. You know where I read this. Yes, the website I go to when I have problems and need to read something cheap and easy to take my mind off. And this one always goes for the responses that will get people angry or offended, mostly women.

So, I'm reading about this woman called Ally and she is something like 6ft tall. And they have her wearing massive long red heels in a dress that reaches almost reaches her thighs in fishnet-ty type tights and holding a brush to the roof or placing with ease the cereal box on the top shelf. I mean, that's just a complete mockery of this woman. You can laugh at yourself to an extent but don't do that or don't agree to that at least. I also think there are better way to get one's point across. Her point was that she has to deal with daily stares and comments on her height and there need to be a Tall section in most shops.

Being a petite, there needs to be a petite section too and there needs to be less intimidation from others when just because you are shorter than them. So I know abuse and hassle quite well.

Trying on the short trouser length in the regular section, I need heels and even then I get some excess material so it takes me hours too to get one pair of trousers that fit. And don't get me started on dresses. I asked the shopgirl at one of the stores I shop at quite regularly if they had a petite section and she said no we don't. Well how about telling me a store that does?

In fact this is the only store I go to for troursers because I already know my rough size there so it's less hassle for me but take me to a trendier store and I'd give up after the 5th trourser is too long. When you get jeans shortened, then they ruin the stiching at the bottom and the sides of the leg don't look right so in my opinion it's actually not worth it and the tailor charges you 40 pounds for something that's not quite right.

You may as well go to the town that stocks petite. In this day and age having to travel for that is laughable and perhaps could be reflective of someone's lack of market research, there's many short girls like me as there are many taller ones and taller ones still, and I could be made to feel like some people can't tolerate me ..but unlike Ally I refuse to believe I am the problem. I was made the way I am and I love the fact that I am me. People are quite quick to jump to black and white; if you are you happy with yourself why do you talk about your flaws, but I never called them flaws, I always say "flaws" because that is what others have made them out to be and I talk about everything especially things that affect my health, body, skin and day to day life.

So I don't have a problem with me but I do have have a problem with having a problem and what I would like is not a quick solution but a solution period. I once wanted tolerance and respect but the rose tinted glasses are off, I'm afraid I don't live in a world where no one can make you feel inferior withour consent, that's a beautiful quote but in my world, just not true.


I'm not going to ever say to someone we'll you're lucky being tall. I know how people are, they will mock ANYTHING. I know there are problems you have to face for a tall woman and I know the positives for them too, the superficial and the practical. I empathise with anyone who has been bullied. It fucks you up. Getting a few comments affects anyone no matter what they say but getting tormented makes your life very difficult, "even" if it's in the past and you've since had makeovers and surgeries, I can read a woman's comments and spot that she's been bullied a mile off, I just know what happens to your psyche and I can see her survival mechanism. We're in this together I want to say, I don't particularly care for boyfriends who are attracted to one's breasts or legs and I don't particularly care for society and what's hot and what's not. I'm in this life for some kind of humanity and human connection with the frills and the fun but without the boneheads- so I make my own frills and fun. I'm taking a different road and it's one where I refuse to be patronised; you are "too tall," you are "too short," "too tall" and "too short" for what? To be found attractive? To be found attractive to whom? Know those who insult you, judge whether they are suitable for a comeback or reaction from you and if they're not, put them in the Too Shallow For You box and don't get patronised.

No comments:

Post a Comment