Friday, 9 April 2010

There's a discussion on imdb about parents like the fictional Neil Perry's existing today.

There's also black and white and I wanted to put across that not all parents who act the same may have the same intention. In particular comparing Asian parents to Mr Perry.

"So you're Asian too?

I'll make sure my mum or dad doesn't read this, haha. I don't think they'd appreciate our humour combined with a dead serious observation. Well, being Asian myself, more specifically Indian and girl, oh no, I know my parents wanted to me to go into Medicine (surprise!), but they said it's because it's a stable job and I get that. They really wanted the best for me in life and that I shouldn't be waiting for a job for years and to be independant and make a life for myself. But at the same time they're always there for me and we've had our arguments before. Anyway this isn't a history so I'll finish soon, promise, I think perhaps other Asian parents want the stability thing as opposed to Neil Perry's dad who wanted to live out his own dreams and seize opportunities through his son. There's maybe always an element of wanting your kids to do better than you did, and not pass up on things and take things more seriously ( I don't think Neil's father knew even half of how serious Neil was about acting, he just did not get it) but some parents genuinly do want their kids to be stable especially when they have struggeled hard in a new country themselves, which isn't just a line fed to the kids, there's a big truth in it.

But in answer to the original question, I'm sure parents like Neil's exist today, and it's not just in situations that are obvious, and not only that, people like Neil's dad who can't see past their own nose as they say exist too. There's so much conformity from small things to clothes which can turn into big things, a reason someone is physically abused in one social setting. People can make you feel trapped and like you're banging your head against a brickwall, I definitely get what Neil was going through but I now have the independance to go my own way as lonely as that can be."

No comments:

Post a Comment