So isn't female empowerment a woman's right to choose? Or is that just feminism? Isn't female empowerment more power to women? And is that just a woman's right to choose or is that a woman making a decision that goes beyond simply her right to choose and doing it for the women? What do you think?
I was watching Memoirs of a Geisha and kind of laughing to be honest. Look I'm just a bitch sometimes. I also have a very weird sense of humour. Anyway, so in this movie this woman says everything she has ever done has been for this man. And I'm thinking, honey please, get thee some empowerment. The thought just crossed my mind, I couldn't help it, I thought oh submissive dependant woman. But you know was she? She is determined to be with the love of her life. That takes guts. That takes trust in one's self and that person and other people. It took her years. But she did it. I loved the way the actress played her. I for once was watching a woman whom I could admire. She knew the difference between a geisha and a whore. How important is female empowerment? To me, pretty damn important. And being a geisha is obviously different to being a whore, many crucial differences, but is it empowering? When I ask myself that, I want to shit on that word. How many god damn times is it used?! With sheer determination, courage, patience, trust, knowledge and skill she got what she wanted in her life. Never mind the man part, a human being who cared and who was good in every sense of the word. When you know her past, the person she is and their first meeting, you know how important that man was to her.
Was she the stereotypical good Asian girl that sometimes English and American men and women see? No, from all I write above which is what I got from this film, she was not.
And that has made me want to read the book. She is a human being I admire. She is a human being who is also rare.
So then today I'm watching The Terminal. And one of the storylines in it is Catherine Zeta Jones' character who is having an affair with a married man. But she still has the affair despite her knowledge. She says to Tom Hanks' character that I keep this pager for anytime he calls me saying he wants to meet with me. And then I think of the woman I saw in Memoirs and the woman Catherine Zeta Jones plays and I think less of Jones' character. So you're thinking so what, you think less. And I think well she's having an affair with a married man, she really should not be having high expectations from that guy. There's a part of me that would laugh if she were to ever say.. I thought he would leave his wife for me. I'm sorry and I think a part of that comes from the fact I'm not having any sex at the moment never mind this great sex with this guy she's having it with- so she says. A part of it comes from the fact that I hate it when a woman says that. But at least she's being honest. And not acting tough. However, maybe it's just her character because I read a book which had this woman have an exquisite sexual relationship with a man whom she later saw at a restaurant with another woman. And the woman said something like she felt something but it wasn't quite what it once was for that man..or she implied that ..but if he dumped that woman for her, I would cheer. Not so sure if I would if that woman was his wife though.
Anyway, you have to be tough. I think women have to be really tough. And you have to make sacrifices and you have to know what you want..and I guess what you want isn't always politically correct and isn't what others like me want for you or to hear. Nevertheless, if there was a book about Zeta Jones' character in The Terminal as sexy as some people would find it, I would sprint past it towards Memoirs purely for the woman in the book.
There was a lot of controversy about the casting of Chinese actresses in Memoirs of a Geisha. Personally, I think Zhang Ziyi (who played Sayuri) is one of the most incredibly beautiful creatures ever to walk the face of the earth and I could accept her if she were playing a black hooker in 1970s Harlem. :-) But many had a problem with it and probably rightfully so. She's always amazing in everything she does. I've been enthralled by her beauty since her first feature film, a wonderful period piece called The Road Home that she made in the late 90s.
ReplyDeleteWhat you were saying about Catherine Zeta-Jones' character in The Terminal reminded me of the Vera Farmiga character in Up in the Air. Have you seen it? Different situation (almost opposite in some ways), but kind of the same as well. Catherine Zeta-Jones is another very lovely woman, by the way. She was so beautiful in the Zorro film. :-)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved her beauty inside and out in Geisha. Im a new big big fan of hers. Thank you for the movie information and re Up in The Air. Ive yet to see that. Thanks so much!
ReplyDelete