http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okd3hLlvvLw
The link is to the original by John Lennon.
The song is perfect and I have no patience with anyone who gets angry with the lyrics or takes it like oh well he's talking about no possessions but look at his big house and piano, he's talking about not prioritising them. I mean even I can understand that and you must be very angry to not get this.
I will mention Glee's version regardless of what people say, that oh no you can't possibly compare the two! I will say that Lennon is an ICON, just an amazing, humane man, that's why he was amazing to me because I felt the love from him, in this video his face looks so peaceful, he just looks beautiful.
But Glee's version is also breathtaking. "Mercedes" sings the lyrics like she's calling out and putting a point across, her character has a lot of humanity, it's not a mere sing along to a very humane and simple but soulful song. The episode in which Imagine is sung by Glee is one of my absolute favourites and will still be because the characters realise they need to learn that very simple lesson that is unbelievably and yet so many times overlooked, it's a cliche but almost everyone will overlook this, you need to be yourself. Don't lose yourself, believe in yourself to know what your strength is and show the world that strength, the rest is out of your control but you have to believe in yourself and give away some control.
You know, people do change and not everyone judges and not all humans are the same because that's "just the way human nature is." I think John Lennon changed in the sense I think he was open and really learned stuff in his life.
Imagine.
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one
RIP John Lennon.
Have a peaceful weekend and be yourself. When someone puts you down, lift your head up higher, you're better than them no matter the impression they give of having it all, they clearly lack the more important things. Ba for now.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Beautiful sentiments, m'lady! I have always felt a kinship with John Lennon, he was a beautiful human being! "Imagine all the people, sharing all the world." One of THE greatest songs ever written!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, we should have a good talk about him sometime.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely!
ReplyDeleteI'll get onto my messenger this week, I actually haven't signed in for yonks!
ReplyDelete