Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Gattaca.


So I'm watching this and it's very intriguing. There's a big thing about perfection in this movie. You have Vincent played by Ethan Hawke, sorry to those who've been following me for a year (I do watch other movies with other actors too) and he's born less than perfect in a society that demands more perfection than ours does at the moment.

It's about having every molecule custom designed and living in a very controlled society, every one has their limits and tasks and you can't do something if you merely want to, you have to be custom designed for it. And that to me is eerie and accurate of the depth, what's really inside people's minds in society.

So he's living with and kind of living off this man called Jerome played brilliantly by Jude Law who's the more perfect version of Vincent and hence is chosen for him to alter Vincent's imperfections and to get closer to genetic perfection, the way society wants and needs and the only way Vincent will get to pursue his goal of travelling to the stars. Jude Law's Jerome is now in a wheel chair and it will be interesting to see how Jerome deals with his half life because he's basically just Vincent's donor. Rules, limitations and boxes, that's what we fight again so why does history repeat itself? Is it about power landing in the wrong hands?

I'm only in the middle of this movie but I had to blog about the comparisons between Vincent and probably a lot us. I love his narration in the movie, it's so matter of fact and that's the way the movie is, it mixes the straight forward no nonsense plot and depth of the issues with fantasy,it looks fantastic as well as smooth, it has gorgeous warm music not done in a cliche way, just very immaculately arranged and played. I wanted to get some of his quotes, because he has a way with words does Vincent but since I can't find any, I can give a link.

Now, I'll get back to watching it and see what Irene (Uma Thurman) is all about, but I have a feeling I'll like her relationship with Vincent, kind of like she keeps him on his toes but vice versa, you know a very equal relationship though their characters are different, she's investigating him I think but then gets to understand him and see the real him, something that gets lost in the pursuit of perfection which sounds like a big fucking cliche but there's so many truths in this movie, it's fucking PERFECT in itself.

At one point we see Vincent in pain getting a leg extension. You know, not so wacky when you think about it. How far do we go, when do we stop? A little botox, a little perfection here and there, just what was so wrong in being human? I understand when society has given someone so much grief over scars for example, but to have your lips done in a certain way, to me that is just pure vanity and it's no big deal with some but it makes me sick. A perfect baby? A perfect donor? God, I fall in love with spirit every time, there's no gene for that and I don't care how evolution works and how I don't fit into it or have a need for my future children to.

Alright, and Ethan Hawke is YUM in this movie. Oh he just gets better with age, I like him whatever his looks, it goes beyond that as beyond as one can get with someone they know nothing about, nor do I have a desire to stalk the guy. But his sexiness comes across everytime .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhSVy2ZdJw

No comments:

Post a Comment