Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Look up Thank you by Jamelia on youtube.

"Makes me stronger..

Thank you."

It's about domestic violence. This song is not empowering to me. It's a good song, very catchy and gives off the impression of empowerment..but if you're thanking something bad, snobby as I sound, I doubt you'll ever feel truly empowered.

I know we all get empowerment in different ways and I also feel that word is overused but to just have respect for yourself whether empowering or whether just a requirement of being a human and living a life, that respect is necessary.

For me it's going to come from ME soley. No bad or good experiences influencing. They may mould me to an extent..well, I ask questions.. but I won't let these experiences near my soul. Okay unless it was a humdinger of an experience. So I'm still the same no matter what. I have tried to get across that I have many sides as we all do and whilst I have hangups they are not about myself and they don't shape who I am ultimately. Rather, they're just based on observations and what has been said many times and they influence me from time to time but ultmately, they're not touching me because I won't let that happen.

Myself, me, I, that's all more important than others' prejudices and inablity to broaden the mind. I don't say thank you when I see someone smirk at my leather jacket, or me in it, whatever their petty childish little cowardly barks, I say FUCK you. Fuck off, now I know how unimportant to me you are. I would never thank someone unimportant to me. I've even stopped saying it to those who serve me in shops, whatever, unless they deserve it. It's not that I'm oh so important, it's just that I have rights as a human.

And as for another song which has a similar "message"..Makes my skin a little thicker? Makes me that much stronger? Yes perhaps, it tests my strength but I don't need that test, you don't get to give me some test to pass and I'm certainly not thanking you for making me a fighter.

Be strong and explore what's inside of me, the power comes from me. Same to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment