I've always had some respect for Oprah Winfrey purely because of her achievements. There are times when I feel she's not someone I like so much as a person with her massive insecurity when it comes to her appearance. I've had shit when it comes to mine in the past, people telling me I shouldn't be alive is pretty harsh I think you'd agree but I never said the things about myself that Oprah has said about her weight. I would never be disgusted with myself for putting on weight. I don't want to put on weight because I don't want to be overweight and for me that would damage my heart but I know I am human and not some Goddess. Perhaps if I were in Oprah's shoes though I really would not want to be despite her achievements, she's a philanthropist and I'm not for the fact that I have big problems with this society, people and this world to be blunt, then I would consider myself as above human.
Anyway, so I read from another authors blog and from a crappy newspaper, Oprah's Favourite Things. I know the newspaper particularly chose the most animated faces along with cleverly listing the items that Oprah is giving away free; showing greed. Look how greedy these Americans are! etc etc..
I know that she's giving away to people who have done a lot for their community, having said that the problem I myself have with this Favourite Things episode is that it's a lot of labels. The items are like this whatever whatever "tote" - aren't they just called bags? Look, I've never had a fondness for pretty things. I can walk past a gorgeous dress sighing and not even caring to know how much it costs. It doesn't have to be mine. With my first pay cheque, I went to the petrol station to fill up, you know? And it was next to a massive mall with shops which I walked through just to get my groceries!.
So then there's this house Oprah wants for herself. Just how many rooms does she need? I get it if it's a family house or if she's got maids and helpers living with her but seriously nineteen bathrooms? A well manicured garden? Venetian plastering? (or whatever). I just don't understand that. To me it's excess ..and alright you work hard, you should live your life the way you want but the excess is nauseating. And that's what I feel when I see the faces lighting up over Louis Vuitton, I'm not referencing just Oprah here maybe she didn't give away any LV, but same with Sex and The City, whilst I like their stories and friendships, I just feel sick when I see them coo and they do coo over a handbag or shoes. I don't get shoes either! I understand heels but not all these different designs of shoes. I have to say I laughed so much when my mum took me to an Ugg (Ugh!) shop to try on uggs that would match my coat. I told her blatantly afterwards, NO MUM. They're almost 200 pounds! They're shoes! Stuff to walk around in! They're not graceful stilletos fit for a fairytale if I was to be particularly girly, it's just nonsense. I don't work on a farm or own sheep so I won't wear Uggs. And how are they comfortable? They're warm but people just clump around in them, that can't be good for posture or feet!
I don't get labels and this excess. I'm no kill joy though, I love it when people are happy above all things and content with themselves in their own way, it means they leave me alone for starters and they can do what they want, it's just yet another thing that makes me nauseous and isolated from them. (Meant in less of a victim sounding way).
No comments:
Post a Comment