Friday, 29 October 2010

I think we got hit with cowboy builders.

I just found out today from our normal builders, the ones who work for a company that has some dignity, that we have mushrooms growing because there is so much mould. I believe them, I don't need to look especially since they are growing in the bathroom..where I have been showering and supposedly cleaning myself for the past half year. I wonder what's been happening to my body, but I know that I haven't felt particularly ill during the past half year..just that the bathroom did smell and that's why we called them in. But, because there are several apartments on our floor suffering water damage, some even worse, we had to do this through insurance. Insurance said we'll send around our company..the company responsible for giving us a laminate that is cracking already in the hall, for supposedly treating our mould problem caused by water damage that's affecting the apartments on this floor- when they haven't because they fitted us with a non waterproof ground under the bath, the bath of all places,!, and they just let mushrooms grow! Our current builders told us all this, afterall we're not experts even when we snooped around after the previous builders left.

The builders before went through a company that would never tell us when they are
coming in, there were times when the builders would just turn up, they themselves having to travel two hours to get to us. One time one builder had the audacity to tell me, I've been knocking on your door. I told him had I known he had been coming in, I would have finished by shower by 9am but we had not heard from our builders for two weeks. On a regular basis, the person living with me had to chase up the company to ask when the builders are coming in, when this one person was away, no one would pass on a message, this person wouldn't ring us back and our apartment, our place of residence and supposed home was to be this building site for half a year (before the half a year that came after where I have been showering with mushroms) where people can just casually walk in and a freak show to have other owners inspect our damage. I once greeted the owner on our hall way dark with mould in bare feet as there was barely room to have a pair of shoes/slippers handy.

I didn't think that people with a professional attitude and children of their own and aside from the one builder who thought the world owed him something they appeared to be considerate at the very least, I didn't think these people could leave a bathroom with mushrooms growing in or fix us floors which have now cracked after 6 months and floors that weren't never water proof when they bloody need to be. Everytime we shower, there's more than an inch of water rising up where it's not supposed to. How is that sorting out the problem? In what way did they sort it out? These are all issues to be put in one big fat letter, and one big long phone conversation to the company who for a problem that hasn't even been fixed took half a year because they would leave us living like this with our permission, if we moved, they wouldn't pay unless we stayed in one hotel room of their choice for 6 months. So we chose to stay at home but we didn't choose to have the mushrooms growing. That's the part that shocks me and makes me really sick. I'm writing this as a freaking cautionary tale. I can't believe what we have been living and cleaning in and now, there's just dust and crap everywhere. For the next how many months, we have one cloakroom bathroom to shower in, but that will be a laugh compared to the main bathroom, with the spot lighting, tub and space, because to my knowledge, at least there aren't any mushrooms growing there!

No comments:

Post a Comment